Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Awakening Playlist

Blog Post Option # 2 
The Awakening Soundtrack

1. “Hey Ya” (Cover) by Matt Weddle. This song would be appropriate for when Edna makes the conscious decision to leave Leonce and move into the other house. The song talks of a love or marriage that is still together because it is what is right. The lyrics “Separate is always better” and “Nothing is forever” resonates most because Edna is so disconnected with her family and no longer wishes to be a part of it. 


2. “Crazy” (Cover) by Daniela Andrade. The original version of this song by Gnarls Barkley is more upbeat, but I think that the cover by Daniela Andrade is more appropriate in that it has a very whimsical tune. I think it would be most appropriate for the scene where Leonce comes home to find that Edna was not present to greet the callers. He becomes upset with her and thinks she has gone mad. He tells her that she needs to be the perfect wife and to keep up appearances. In return, she scoffs at him and tells him that she had better things to do. This song is fitting in that it this is the turning point at Edna realizes how truly unhappy she is and thinks that perhaps there is something wrong with her. 


3. “Somewhere Only We Know” (Cover) By Lilly Allen. This song reminds me of when Robert courts Edna in the summer on the beach. They get lost in each other and only recognize the other and the rest of the world is unapparent to them- as if they are in a dream. The lyrics “Oh simple thing where have you gone” and “Is this the place we used to love? Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?” reminds me of when summer ends and Robert leaves Edna.


4. “Stay” by Rihanna. This song was chosen for the scene where Robert comes back to Edna and he tells her that he must leave her and she begs him not to go. She reasons with him that she loves him. She then falls asleep and awakes to an empty house and realizes that Robert has left. The lyrics “I can’t live without you/ It takes me all the way/ I want you to stay” spread a sense of desperation that I can see Edna feeling during this scene. 



5. “The Scientist” by Coldplay. I chose this song for the very last scene where Edna goes swimming in the ocean right before “surrendering” herself to its waves. The song has a somber and slightly more depressing tune which is fit for the very ending of the book. The lyric “lets go back to the start” reminds me of when Edna is swimming in the ocean and is remembering and recalling her life before that point. “Tell me you love me, come back and haunt me” reminds me of the way that she feels about Robert, how he left her, and how distraught she is over it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment