Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blog # 5, Option # 1




     For this fifth and final blog, I choose to watch the movie “Whip It”. This movie passes the Bechdel Test with flying colors.  First, there are definitely more than 2 women in it.  Second, they all talk to each other.  Third, since the main topic of the movie revolves around roller derby, it is the focus of most conversation.  Two other interesting points to this movie are, not only was the writer a woman, so was the producer, who we all know as Drew Barrymore.

     In case you haven't watched this movie, this movie captures the life of Bliss Cavendar (main character) from a small Texas town. Bliss and her mother don’t see eye to eye from the start of the movie. Bliss's mother wants her in pageants, all while Bliss would rather live on the edge with her bright colored blue hair and rebel tendencies. Bliss joins an all female roller derby team, all while being underage and lying to her parents about her whereabouts for practice and games. Until one day, her mother finds a team poster and her skates and confronts Bliss about where she has been going. Towards the end, it is discovered that Bliss lied to the team about her age. The team, although disappointed, are impressed with Bliss and her dedication to the team. Sometimes you just have to follow your dreams, just like Bliss in this movie. Yes, you might disappoint some people along the way, but its your life, not theirs. 

     Bliss dresses like a normal girl day to day. She dresses fairly modest compared to her female teammates. They dress in spandex with some showing a little more skin than others. In no way would I consider it trashy or sexual, as this is typical for roller derby girls today. I have seen other women in female roles dresses much worse.  These women seem fairly normal to me, in which they are strong headed and don't take crap from others. (Just like me :-)  They like to have fun. Roller Derby is their passion and side job. The end outcome surpassed me a little. Bliss's parents decide to support her, even though she isn't living the life they pictured for her. 

     This movie just makes me smile. I'm sick of the sappy love stories where daily life revolves around men or cat fights with other women. I like to see things that are out of the norm and keep me on my toes. This movie did for sure. (Shhh, don't ever tell anyone that I secretly want to join a roller derby team) Whip It is fun, easy going, and comical. I could see myself watching it again, but not so convinced by Fiancé would agree that it is the best movie to watch together.














No comments:

Post a Comment