Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Blog #5. How my "modern family" relates to Gloria Naylor's "The Two."

My dad and me.



            Tolerance is an interesting concept. People in civil society are expected to be tolerant in every situation, even if we have never been exposed to that situation. How is a child supposed to learn tolerance for later on in adulthood when their life experiences have limited them to seeing the “other side”? In Gloria Naylor’s short story, “The Two”, this idea is illustrated time and time again. Residents of Brewster Place have limited experience with gay individuals; consequently, from their viewpoint, Lorraine and Theresa were viewed as two sinful women, going against not only the “Good Book”, but also defying how things ought to be. Fortunately, I learned the concept of tolerance at an early age. I was able to see the growth and love in a relationship between a gay father and his daughter. How, you might ask? Well, keep reading.
            Since my formative years, I knew that my sister and I had different fathers. Growing up, my sister and I shared clothes, conveniently the same shoe size, similar tastes in music, and a mutual love for our unifying bond, our mom. Even with our nine year age difference, we would spend countless hours in the car consuming too much frozen yogurt and commiserating about how stupid boys are. We are sisters and there were never distinctions made.
Brittany's dad and our mom were married for twelve years; following their divorce, Brittany's father began to explore his sexuality and has maintained the gay lifestyle since that time. Our dads have created the two separate "worlds" in which we partake. Our fathers have similar morals and have taught us the same principles, though through different ways. The difference lies in the fact that my sister’s father’s interest lies in couture fashion and the latest style of makeup; while my dad finds solace in the outdoors and when the Stanford Cardinal pull off a win.
The part in “The Two” that struck accord with me was when Mattie and Etta were discussing Theresa and Lorraine’s relationship. Mattie’s statement is profound and represents my personal beliefs regarding people’s sexuality and the “differences” between our two fathers. “Maybe it’s not so different, Mattie said, almost to herself. Maybe that’s why some women get so riled up about it, ‘cause they know deep down it’s not so different after all.” 
Brittany and her dad.
Individuals are different and interests vary tremendously depending on the person. My dad likes women and football. Her dad likes fashion shows and men. The point I’m trying to make is that sexuality can be compared to an interest. We all have different interests, but are we lesser people if our interests vary from the “norm”?
            This aspect of my family has been a vehicle by which I have learned to be more tolerant of people and their circumstances; however, I realize that some do not have this vehicle by which they are able to experience different people and ideas. One of the short story’s antagonists, C.C. Baker, who assaulted Lorraine, clearly never experienced a vehicle in which to learn to be tolerant of others and their choices.
My tolerance of other people stretches beyond their sexual preference; I know that I am a more tolerant and accepting of people because I realize that the majority of people, like myself, have an aspect of their life that may seem "unconventional" or difference from the rest, but that makes them unique, shapes their character, and perhaps make them a more tolerant person.

No comments:

Post a Comment