Friday, April 11, 2014

Sex and the City 2: Pass or Fail?

            I have always been a huge fan of the Sex and the City franchise. Even though I did not start watching it until after the series finale on HBO each time it comes on cable I find myself drawn to these episodes consisting of four women in pursuit not just of men but of careers and of course, shoes. Needless to say, following the conclusion of the series I was thrilled they were continuing the plot line with two movies.
            Sex and the City 2, the second movie in the franchise, was not a huge hit with critics but I found it to be fun and interesting. The main female characters in the film consist of Carrie, the writer, Charlotte, the stay-at-home mom, Miranda, the attorney, and Samantha, the public relations agent. Due to Samantha’s public relations connections they find themselves on a trip of a lifetime in Abu Dhabi. All of these women play different roles when it comes to family. Carrie is married with no kids. Charlotte has two children with her husband. Miranda has one child with her husband. Finally, Samantha is single and happy.
            All four women are lead characters portrayed as very fashionable, confident and down to earth. They discuss things such as their careers, shopping and men (obviously). When they are together having a conversation they seem like just normal women having lunch, talking about life and the troubles they go through day-to-day. While watching the film I honestly expected it to fail the Bechdel test. Its title specifically refers to sex after all. I was surprised though that the movie actually passed.
            One scene in particular seemed like it would resonate with women who were mothers whether they admitted it out loud or not. Miranda and Charlotte, the only two with children, are sitting in their hotel room talking. After the help of several martinis Charlotte breakdowns and admits that being a mother of two is often overwhelming even with the help of a nanny. Miranda, a former working mother of one, agrees with her sentimental confession and even says to Charlotte, “sometimes, as much as I love Brady, and I do love him more than words, being a mother just isn’t enough. I miss my job.” In my opinion, mixing this emotional scene with a little comedy really made it realistic. In the end it was just two women talking about their love for their children but also that it is not always carefree and easy. It has the potential to apply to mothers who might feel overworked and taken advantage of. Though the movie’s main plot consists of Carrie’s struggle with being married, but the scene between Charlotte and Miranda, in my opinion, was entirely representative when applied to the real world.

If you would like to watch the clip that I am referring too, please click here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment