Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blog # 5, Option # 1




I decided to watch the movie The Devil Wears Prada. They portrayed different aspects of women because they gave the main characters different personality types. One is on top of the world, business minded and harsh, and the other was shown to be more delicate and trying to keep up with that fast paced lifestyle. Most of the characters in the film were women. They did not talk about romance or relationships; they talked about fashion and business. The main character, Miranda (Maryl Streep), was not at all preoccupied with men, and the supporting character, Andy (Anne Hathaway), did not discuss relational matters with other women. This film passed the bechdel test with flying colors, as I expected it to. Based on the trailer alone it looked like it would pass the test. Not only that but I’d seen the film before so I knew what to expect (sorry, I hope that wasn’t cheating!). This movie was great. As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure it failed the men’s bechdel test (if there is such a thing). There really were hardly any men in the film and they didn’t talk about women either, and by the way some of the men were portrayed in the film I don’t think they’d be talking about women even if their relationships were involved in the plot. The film was good and I’m glad there are empowering films for women out there like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment