Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sofia Sidner, Option 4


Jane Addams was a leader and activist in her community when it came to equality of women. Addams main goal was to have equality in education – meaning she wanted women’s schooling to be equivalent to men’s schooling. However, in her Bread Givers speech, she mentions that although women are beginning to gain the same rights and independence as men, she doesn’t want to let go of the traditional woman. Addams states, “We gladly claim these privileges, and proudly assert our independence, on the other hand we still retain the old ideal of womanhood – the Saxon lady whose mission it was to give bread unto her household” (Addams 3). The idea of being equal with men but still fulfilling womanly and motherly duties is something very familiar to me, and I can relate to this idea on multiple levels.

Growing up, my mother was the “bread giver” of our household. We had a particularly large family; I have three older siblings. Ever since the day I can remember, my father went to work in the mornings and my mother stayed at home to tend to my siblings and I. She played with us, dropped us off at school, took us to sport practices, made our lunches, and had dinner on the table for when my father would return from work. She loved being the bread giver and the rest of my family enjoyed having her as our bread giver.

From upper left: My father, Max; my brother, Will; my mother, Patty (breadgiver)
From bottom left: My brother, Chris; myself; my sister, Rebekah
 
Although my mother was the bread giver in our household, she still went to college and received an education. Without Jane Addams, she probably wouldn’t have been able to do so. My mother chose to be the bread giver of our household – and Jane Addams gave her that choice.

I believe that the power of choice is what Jane Addams was searching for. She gave women the choice to either pursue a career or become a bread giver, or possibly do both. In that sense, I relate to Jane Addams and I respect her tremendously for fighting for women to have that choice. Today, I can choose. Although I am receiving a college education, I don’t necessarily have to pursue an intense career. I may choose to get married, have children, and become a bread giver. But to me, that choice is everything. I don’t know what route I will choose or which route is the “correct” one, but the fact that I, as a woman, am able to choose, gives me a great deal of dignity and importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment