Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Blog: Option 5

Felicia Steele, Blog Option #5
The Awakening written by Kate Chopin tells the story of a woman who gradually attempts to find her voice in upper class, 19th century Louisiana.  Edna Pontellier is a married woman with two children and an ideal husband who seemingly leads the perfect life according to high, southern society standards. However, her internal turmoil is what makes this particular piece of literature stand out.
Chopin uses a common theme of water in various scenes of the novel. Particularly, at the beginning of the novel when the characters are spending their summer in Grand Isle, Mrs. Pontellier learns how to swim while at the beach one night with the rest of her party. As stated, Edna is “intoxicated with her newly conquered power (Chopin 27).” At the end of novel, Edna returns to Grand Isle to swim out once again but not return. There are many debates about whether Chopin was addressing a dire since of desperation when Mrs. Pontellier commits suicide or if this is her ultimate act of freedom. I believe Chopin wrote her piece purposefully and made it to where women reading the novel would be relate the mean to their own personal life. Only she know exactly what was being thought as she finished her story.
Perhaps it is my Catholic upbringing that makes me feel the way I do about Edna Pontellier but I feel her suicide was nothing more than a desperate ploy for attention, something she would not have to share with her husband or children. It also strikes me as ironic that she commits suicide the day after Robert Lebrun leaves her saying, “I love you. Good-by – because I love you (Chopin 106).” This gives off the impression that Edna commits suicide in order to guilt trip Robert for his betrayal.
Despite my opinion of the main character, Edna Pontellier, I would recommend this book to people. I feel it’s important for women now to understand women “back then.” As a woman, I feel a kinship to other women and feel we must develop a since of camaraderie to “have each other’s backs” if you will. On a scale of one to five, I’d give this piece of literature a four. While I enjoyed the plot and story Chopin conveyed, I was not a fan of the way women were deemed property nor did I agree with how the alleged progressive, woman, Mrs. Pontellier, was portrayed as flippant and moody. Overall, I say it’s a wonderfully written, metaphorical novel that’s definitely worth reading at least once.     

No comments:

Post a Comment