Thursday, January 23, 2014

Option #4

“As each strong wave pounds on the rocks
I stand, spellbound by the Sea
As the spray and foam quench the docks
I am breathlessly gazing at the blue queen" (anonymous) 

To me, there is nothing more soothing than watching the waves crash on the beach. The salty air, the crisp breeze, there is just a quality that the beach has that solves all of life’s problems. As Edna from “The Awakening” sits on her porch in the Grand Isle, she listens to the waves crash as she collects her thoughts and has her alone time. As a California native, my outlet is sitting on the beach and letting the feeling I get disappear through the calmness of the ocean.

 Everyone goes through hard times, it’s just kind of how life happens. Like Edna, when I am contemplating my problems, I like to be alone. Taking what I am feeling in, on my own. As Edna is upset she wants to sleep outside. Her husband keeps bugging her, so she does not respond nicely. “Leonce, go to bed. I mean to stay out here. I don’t wish to go in, and I don’t intend to. Don’t speak to me like that again; I shall not answer you” (Chopin, 31). Like Edna, sometimes I take my frustration out on others when I am upset. Although she meant what she said, sometimes we don’t mean what we say. So, it’s good to have an outlet; a place where you can scream at the top of your lungs, a place where you can feel joy again. And, the beach is that place for Edna and me. 


Edna has many awakenings during the novel when she realizes that her life as a trophy wife isn’t what she was meant to be. Like Edna, I have had my own awakenings, realizing what I want in this life, who I want to be, and I have had these awakenings staring and swimming in the ocean like Edna.  Sometimes something that has so many unanswered questions can answer all of one’s life problems.

Avenue I- Redondo Beach, CA

                                          Moonlight Beach- Encinitas, CA


No comments:

Post a Comment