Thursday, January 23, 2014

Kelly Turnipseed Option 2



In Another’s Eyes by Garth Brooks
and Trisha Yearwood reminds me of the relationship between Edna Pontellier and
Robert Lebrun, that continues to progress throughout the novel. This song has
lyrics that say, “I’m afraid that I can’t see this picture perfect portrait
that they paint of me.” Constantly we see Edna being not the perfect
stereotypical “mother-woman” that her husband and society expects her to be. Edna
is in a rut, and she tells Robert, “It was you who awoke me last summer out of
a life-long, stupid dream.” (Chopin, pg. 103) This song reminds me of this
scene, where they profess their love for one another, because the song is about
wanting to be with someone else.






The Pontellier family isn’t exactly
your cookie-cutter, happy family. Mr. Pontellier makes it a priority to not let
everyone else see this, and wants people to think they are the perfect
high-class family. This is why I believe “Family Portrait” by Pink is a perfect
song for summing up the Pontellier family. Edna says she would “give up the
essential,” but would not give herself for her children. (Chopin, pg. 46)







“Welcome To My Life” by Simple Plan
represents Edna being hurt and misunderstood by everyone all the time. The
lyrics talk about being “stuck inside a world you hate” and “you might think I’m
happy” fit Edna perfectly. This also makes me think of the metaphorical bird
with a broken wing, representing Edna, because she is just trapped in a world
she can’t fly away from.






            “Fade to Black” by Metallica could be the theme song for the final scene of the novel,
when Edna commits suicide. The lyrics say “drifting farther every day,” similar
to how Edna drifts farther and farther out into the water, and how she moves
farther away from her family and friends every day. The song also says, “no one
but me can save myself.” Similarly, Edna’s thoughts are that Leonce and the children
“need not have thought that they could possess her, body and soul.” (Chopin,
pg. 109) Edna does not want anyone thinking they can control her.






              “Miss. Independent” by Kelly Clarkson basically
sums up Edna’s personality in the song. She has an “out of my way” and unafraid
personality, just like it says in the song. The “Miss. Never let a man help her
off her throne” line in the song reminds me of when Edna sold her paintings and
bought a small house, so she wouldn’t still be using her husband’s money. This
just shows her independence, and how she doesn’t want to lean on a man for
help, even though it is how society was at the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment