Friday, February 14, 2014

Option 2 Blog

Music has a perfect way to convey feelings, thoughts, and emotions. With an emotional story like Bastard out of Carolina, music is the perfect way to emphasize how the characters were feeling.

1  Concrete Angel – Martina McBride

“"She walks to school with the lunch she packed
  Nobody knows what she's holdin' back
  Wearin' the same dress she wore yesterday
  She hides the bruises with linen and lace."
   



   This verse of the song reminded me of how Bone felt when she was hiding the abuse and rape she
   received from Glenn. She had to hide her bruises and suppress her emotions and no one knew about it.            
   This also reminds me how we never know what battle people are fighting inside.


   Runaway Love – Ludacris

“Yea, I can only image what you're going through ladies,
 Sometimes I feel like running away myself,
So do me a favor right now and close your eyes,
And picture us running away together,
When we come back everything is gonna be okay”



While Bone doesn’t necessarily run away, she does leave her family and goes to her aunt Raylenes. Even after everything that happened, Anney still goes back to her husband. This song stuck out to me because it talks about young women who are all going through struggles and how what they want is to runaway and escape from their hardships. Like these girls, Bone can’t stand to be around the abuse- both sexual and physical so she leaves when Anney doesn’t fully leave Glenn. Sometimes all we can do is “runaway” to find our happiness. And sometimes you can’t runaway and you have to face it.

 Right or Wrong I’ll be by your side (Wanda Jackson)

“Right or wrong, day by day
All my love, all the way
For I believe that I belong
By your side, right or wrong”


Right or Wrong, Anney sticks by Glen’s side. Even after he rapes, molests, and beats her daughter, Anney is mesmerized by Glen’s spell. Many people stay in hard relationships like Anney because they don’t know how to function without another person even if the conditions with that person is ten times worse.

    Hank Williams – Angels of Death

When the Angel of Death
Comes down after you
Can you smile and say
      That you have been true

This song really had an impact on me. The line that reads, “can you smile and say that you have been true” stuck out to me. I imagined this type of situation happening to Anney as she ascends to the afterlife. Would she feel that she did the right thing by staying with Glenn? Did she do the right thing by emotionally hurting her daughter?

Time Changes Everything – Merle Haggard

Good luck to you may God bless you
I can't say I won't love again
But you go your way and now I'll go mine
Cause time changes everything


This last verse of this song reminds me of when Anney comes to see Bone with the new birth certificate without the word “illegitimate”. I can imagine this song playing as Anney begs for Bone’s forgiveness, but before bone can accept Anney is gone again. At the end they both go their separate ways and “time does (did) really change everything.” While yes this song is about a couple, a mother and daughter also share a unique love and bond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment