Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Blog 2-Option 3

Bastard out of Carolina throughout the entire story had one main concept I could not stop thinking about, child abuse. From the first time we read as Daddy Glen abused Bone in the parking lot, the many times he hit her with his belt, and one of the final scenes where he raped her I could not stop thinking that I hoped this was only a story and not something an innocent child would have to experience. After watching the video about Dorothy Alison I realized it was not just a story and it does happen every day whether we acknowledge it or not, the later being what Anney did.
            After only seconds of research, thousands of articles of popped up of many stepfathers who had abused their stepchild including of one of the most famous stepdad/ daughter abuse cases in history, Woody Allen and Dylan Farrow. This case was the way I would have pictured Bone’s playing out when I think in to her future (or what it would have been if her mother had not caught Daddy Glen in the act) it was almost as if I were reading about Bone. She would have lived her life and 20 years later come out telling everyone what happened and nothing would have come of it.  Dylan wrote in a public letter "Woody Allen was never convicted of any crime. That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up” (Carter) the second I read this I could hear Bone’s voice coming through. Every day it affected her that nobody knew this secret, she was around her family every day and she was the only one who knew it had happened which fueled all the anger inside of her. “Things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies” (Alison 248) and this is the truth in both cases. The secrets kept between these girls and their stepfathers eventually tore everybody apart; the people who looked past them felt guilt and ashamed, the mothers feeling responsible for what has happened, and worst of all the stepfathers no remorse besides their reputation ruined.



http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/01/showbiz/dylan-farrow-open-letter/

No comments:

Post a Comment