Thursday, March 6, 2014

Blog Option 5

In my opinion the short story “Sucker” has to with two children one looking for self-affirmation from the other sex and the other dealing with the admiration he has for an older brotherly figure. The story starts out with the older boy named Pete and his younger cousin named Sucker who has lived with Pete for a very long time. Pete explains that, “half the time I forgot that Sucker wasn’t my brother” (McCullers 1). The story goes on to point out that Pete felt like he had full control of the room the two shared and that Pete up until a certain point had treated Sucker with indifference. This turning point however is when a girl named Maybelle comes into the picture. Pete has a fascination with Maybelle that eventually is reciprocated on her part, but only for a short period of time. During that time, Pete starts to treat Sucker better, even confiding in him about Maybelle only adding to Sucker’s “hero-worship” of Pete. When Maybelle stops showing interest in Pete is ultimately the downfall of Pete himself and his relationship with Sucker. Pete realizes that no amount of gifts could buy her affection and the cold realization that Pete was the only one invested in their “relationship” leaves him feeling un-wanted and angry. Eventually these feelings come out but are directed towards Sucker in an intense confrontation between the two, “ I guess I wanted to ignore somebody like Maybelle did me. You could always tell by Sucker’s face when his feelings were hurt. I don’t remember all the ugly remarks I must of made because even when I was saying them my mind was on Maybelle.“ (McCullers 2). Pete eventually regrets his harsh words but by this point it is too late, “His face seemed different now. He used to look timid and sort of like he was afraid of a whack over the head. That expression was gone. “ (McCullers 3). I would give this short story a 4. I thought it did a good job of exemplifying certain events and emotions that are very real when you have two adolescent boys (and girls) going through this journey of growing up. Even more so with people you consider to be family. There have been many times when I can remember getting so angry with my younger siblings and saying things that I immediately regretted after I said them. Issues dealing with affirmation from those around you, especially that of the opposite sex, and having people that you admire in your life disappoint you are all things that at some point have been experienced by the majority. I would recommend this story, it can convey a lot about growing up and the effect that your words and your actions have on those around you.



No comments:

Post a Comment