Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Blog 3 option 5 Kelly Turnipseed


I decided to critique Never Marry a Mexican by Sandra Cisneros. The author was definitely showing that people cheat. I feel like the narrator, Clemencia, who was the “other woman”, did not have a guilty conscience. She knew what she was doing, and kept doing it. Drew, who was Clemencia’s lover, was not the only one at fault, though what he did was 100% wrong. At the very beginning, Clemencia says, “I'm guilty of having caused deliberate pain to other women. I'm vindictive and cruel, and I'm capable of anything.” (Cisneros 51) I think the author is showing that people in these relationships of infidelity know that what they are doing is wrong, but they do not really care. I feel like Cisneros also uses class and race almost as an excuse for the wrong that Clemencia is doing. Just because she is low class doesn’t mean she has the excuse to do something so bad. Also, just because she is a U.S. Mexican shouldn’t mean anything, but just because her mom had a bad experience, it affected Clemencia’s lifestyle. This goes to show how much influence a parent can have on his or her child. Clemencia never realized anything was bad with her life when she was young, and now she just doesn’t feel like she belongs.  There is a theme of identity through out Never Marry a Mexican. Clemencia does not belong in a class or with any one person in particular. Her lover is married! I personally am against everything in this book so it was not my favorite read, it is fine that it raises awareness of reality, but I would not recommend it to a friend. I’m not saying it was a bad book, but if I were to recommend a book to a friend, it would be a romance novel by Nicholas Sparks. Never Marry a Mexican just didn’t appeal to me personally, but I would still give it a 6/10 rating.


www.sandracisneros.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment