Thursday, March 6, 2014

Blog #4

I chose to do Blog option number four and to blog about a particular character, situation, scene, or issue found in one of texts we read and relate to it on a personal level. This week in class we read Genesis on the Original sin. This story in the bible is about the failure of man and woman to obey God's specific demands. In the story God tells Adam and Eve, shameless and sinless beings, that they can eat from any tree on the Garden expect from one specific tree. One day Adam and Eve are walking through the Garden when the wildest and most sneaky animal in the Garden approaches them. In short, the snake convinces Eve that the fruit from the forbidden tree can be eaten despite what God has told them. Before this point in the story, the specific tree had not seemed so tempting to Adam and Eve. However, when the snake introduces this temptation into their minds they start to view the tree differently. Genesis states, "The woman stared at the fruit. It looked beautiful and tasty. She wanted the wisdom that it would give her, and she ate some of the fruit. Her husband was there with her, so she gave some to him, and he ate it too". When God finds out about this sin and confronts both Adam and Eve he gives them tremendous consequences for this sin. Including painful childbirth, shame, guilt, temptation, and the introduction of sin to humanity for eternity. 

I can relate this story to many experiences in my life but especially one in particular. One weekend in high school, my sister was having her sports award ceremony where she was going to receive a very special award for volleyball. My father and mother told me many times to not make any plans for that night since it was an important event to go to, plus we would all be hanging out after. Just how Adam and Eve had never really considered the fruits temptation a lot before the snake, I had never considered not going a huge temptation. However, when I was presented the idea by all of my friends to skip the awards ceremony and go to a bonfire out at the lake I suddenly became overwhelmed with temptation to disobey my parents. I thought about how fun swimming in the lake would be, warming up by the fire, and making smores' with my best friends. I thought about how the night would be just how Eve thought about how tasty the apple would taste. I longed for the freedom to do what I pleased and make my own decision. I decided to fake sick to skip the ceremony and joined my friends at the lake. My parents had originally planned to go to dinner after the ceremony which would have bought me more time. Their plans fell through when my mom got sick and needed to come home. I guess you could say my plans fell through as well when they didn't see me at home. They were furious the next day and gave me consequences just as God gave consequences to Adam and Eve. I was grounded for a week, and lost my cell phone. What was worse was I lost my parents trust that night. I should have listened to myself but I allowed my friends to influence my decision and gave into temptation. Sin is something that every person experiences in life and all though it is never going away it is important to reflect on your mistakes and try not to make the same one again. I never lie to my parents anymore!




No comments:

Post a Comment