Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Blog 2, Option 5


You've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?



The story that caught my attention for this blog was The Lottery. I think that Shirley Jackson was trying to show the negative aspects of communism. In the story, Mr. Adams tells Old Man Warner that in the north, the towns are considering giving up the lottery (Jackson, 4). Old Man Warner then says nothing good comes of giving up the lottery. When I read this, I immediately thought of how communist was (and in many places is) a political theory that was being fought out by countries like the U.S. Everyone feared the communists, besides those in charge of the communist parties, which seamed to be represented by Old Man Warner. The children were the first to gather the stones (Jackson, 1). The stones symbolized the tools of destruction when I read this. I viewed this as the younger generation who get riled up in excitement about things they don’t understand will be their demise. The young get excited about communism because they want equality for all without realizing it only holds back and destroys. By the time they realize it, it is often too late. I would absolutely recommend this read. It is interesting and shows a new light not only on communist, but also on many aspects of life. The ambiguity of the short story is wonderful. It can be related to smoking or drinking, how the young are excited in it without realizing its destruction until later in life, for example. I give it a 5 simply because it makes such a simple point, but doesn’t show the point until the very end. The reader is intrigued as to what the lottery is all about until the end when all of the symbolism is tied together. I loved it. I thought it was brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment