Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What We Can Learn From The Women Of Herland

            Recently, the media has been abuzz regarding the influence that Photoshopped pictures are having on women and men. When first reading an article regarding Photoshopping I thought to myself “well, I always assume that women in magazines are Photoshopped, so what’s the big deal?” Later, I recognized my ignorance about this “hot button topic.” I admit that I have Photoshopped images of myself, which I later posted on Facebook. I am a guilty offender of this “taboo.” So, why do I find keep finding myself using Photoshop to whiten my teeth or boosting my tan, prior to posting a picture on Facebook? The reason is not singular; however, I know that constantly viewing images of women with picturesque hair, nails, and teeth, entices me, to some degree, to Photoshop myself.


            The article “Regular Women Get Photoshopped Into Models And Watch It All Go Down” discusses the response of four women who participated in an experiment where they were Photoshopped similar to the models that we see constantly in popular media. Their responses to the experiment varied; however, the theme was the same. When being Photoshopped, the women lost apart of themselves. One of the participants stated, “once someone else has done your makeup and someone else has done your hair and someone's directed the way your body looks and then taken away your imperfections, then there's not much left of who you really are.” 
            The novel, “Herland” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman is a utopia of all women. The women of Herland go against typical American beauty ideals. Women living in Herland have short hair, dress in lose and comfortable attire, and are incredibly athletic and strong. American women during the 1960s, when the novel took place, typically had longer hair, wore clothes which complemented their figure, and were seen by men as weak and delicate. Consequently, when Van, Terry, and Jeff arrive at this majestic hilltop country they are in awe of the difference of the women in Herland compared to American women. 

Now I’m sure you’re asking yourself what does an article about Photoshopping average American women and the novel "Herland" have to do with each other? I believe American women, myself included, can gain inspiration from the women of Herland. They are a not conformists. They would see no need in Photoshopping a picture of themselves. The women of Herland believe in kinship, motherhood, and freedom because that is what is important in life. They believe in the content of one’s character over one’s physical attributes. Isn’t that is what is important at the end of the day? Looks fade and are only as important as you make them.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment